Two New Reviews From Our Local Book Reviewer
Onyx (Lux Series #2) Volume One Awakening
Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Page Count: 366
Keywords: Funny, Action, Awesome, ALIENS Genre: YA Younger Readers: Some language, similar to Obsidian
I loved this book! It was hilarious throughout and I ended up getting plenty of weird looks for laughing out loud in public. Daemon and Katy were just as hot in this books as they were in Obsidian. Constantly wavering between bickering and making out they certainly are entertaining, though it was nice to see in this book that it began to move beyond the physical relationship and the question of if they actually like like each other was more prominent. There is less of a focus on the friendship between Dee and Katy though. Adam and Dee are together constantly which makes Katy feel uncomfortable. Then Katy is also trying to deal with the consequences of being in contact with so many aliens and fighting her feelings for Daemon.
On the negative side their was the introduction of the love triangle between Daemon, Katy, and a new character named Blake. Sometimes these work and make sense but here it was more on the annoying side. Even Katy’s narration brings up how pointless it all is. Blake’s treatment of Katy and all of the risky situations he puts her in were certainly annoying. The entire time I just wanted to scream at all the characters. Aside from my disdain for Blake there was also the fact that Katy refuses to accept that she has feelings for Daemon. Everyone else can see it but she spends over half of the book denying them.
Overall, a strong sequel that I would highly recommend.
Spoiler Discussion Below:
I just thought I would list off some of my favorite/most memorable scenes from the book. Don’t read unless you’ve already finished the book!
- A really cute moment was towards the beginning of the book when Daemon comes home after his meeting with the Department of Defense. Katy being really worried and running up and hugging him as soon as he gets back is adorable and really hints at what the ramifications of their connection will be.
- I don’t know about anyone else but I kept laughing during the scene when Kat and Daemon are talking about their relationship and they keep saying that their lives are not a book.
- Leading up from when Will kidnaps Katy to when Daemon comes and saves her. This really shows how vulnerable they are and I like how it opened up for possibilities in the remainder of the series.
- Dawson is alive! The description of how haunted he seems and how crazy Bethany was really cool in how they almost serve as a warning for Katy and Daemon.
- I would be lying if I said I didn’t cry I little when Dee and Adam rush in to save Katy from Blake. Dee had just started feeling normal with her best friend and a boyfriend she was crazy about when all of a sudden everything is ripped away from her. Even Ash’s reaction got to me.
Opal (Lux Series #3)
Authors: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Page Count: 382
Keywords: Aliens, Action, Love
Younger Readers: Very similar to first two books, sexual content increases slightly
I would like to start by saying that I really did enjoy this book. It had the same style as the first two books and the characters were as loveable as ever, but this was probably my least favorite in the series so far. The humor was not as present as it was in Obsidian and Onyx. I smirked a few times but was not laughing nearly as much. Even the action was a bit slower. The entire first half of the book was just buildup for the rest of the story. Around the 50% mark though the book does pick up and begin to resemble the rest of the series more. A lot of the slow building actually ends up revealing some creepier elements by the very end.
- Katy and Daemon are finally a legitimate couple in this book.
- Blake is back! This was not exactly unexpected after Katy and Daemon let him go at the end of Onyx.
- Dawson was surprisingly likeable. At first he was just a creepy presence but as the story went it is easier to understand him and connect with him.