Through Chandler scheduled for Mother’s Day weekend
By Arizona Department Of Transportation
Arizona Department of Transportation (ADOT) crews will repair areas of worn pavement and perform other maintenance on the Loop 202 (Santan Freeway) through portions of Chandler starting at 10 p.m. Friday, May 10, and continuing until 3 a.m. Monday, May 13, 2019. The project will require a full closure to all traffic on the Santan Freeway in both directions between Loop 101 (Price Freeway) in Chandler and the Williams Field Road interchange in Gilbert.
Project closures and restrictions include:
- Southbound Loop 101 interchange ramp to eastbound Loop 202 will be closed. Loop 101 southbound traffic will exit onto either southbound Price Road or the westbound Loop 202 Freeway
- Eastbound traffic on Loop 202 in west Chandler will be routed onto the northbound Loop 101 interchange ramp, and eastbound Loop 202 traffic will be able to take the Kyrene Road and McClintock Road exits
- Loop 202 on- and off-ramps will be closed at Price, Dobson, and Alma School roads, Arizona Ave., McQueen, Cooper and Gilbert roads, Val Vista Drive and Santan Village Parkway, as well as the ramp from Williams Field Road to westbound Loop 202.
ADOT and Chandler officials are encouraging Mother’s Day weekend travelers to make plans in advance and, if possible, avoid driving near the Santan Freeway. If you must traverse the Santan use alternative local streets through Chandler and factor extra travel time into your itineraries in anticipation of heavier surface street traffic. Also, consider using a traffic and navigation mobile app like Waze to find the best alternative driving routes.
A similar closure of Loop 202 through Gilbert and Mesa will occur during the previous weekend, May 3-6, for the section between Williams Field Road and the US 60 Superstition Freeway.
According to ADOT, the two weekend projects cover a 21 mile section of freeway that is in need of repairs to pavement damaged by a combination of moisture during the wet winter and heavy traffic. Crews will be prepared to reopen the freeway in segments as the pavement work is completed.
“These repairs to our freeways are important and very much needed,” said Chandler Mayor Kevin Hartke.
“Nevertheless, that weekend will challenge everyone driving through central Chandler. So, give yourself more time to get where you want to go and be patient behind the wheel. Don’t let anything keep you from enjoying Mother’s Day with your loved ones.”
Alternative routes to or from south Chandler into Phoenix include Queen Creek and Riggs roads to or from the I-10 Freeway.
If you are planning to shop or dine near Chandler Fashion Center, please note the following alternate routes:
- From the west, use Chandler Blvd. or take the Loop 202 Santan Freeway exit at McClintock Drive and proceed either east on the frontage road to Chandler Village Drive, or north on McClintock Drive to Chandler Blvd.
- Also from the west, take the Loop 101 Price Freeway ramp and then exit at Ray Road; use the interchange to cross over the Loop 101, turn onto the southbound frontage road and use it or the freeway to get to the mall area.
- From the north, take the Loop 101 Price Freeway to the Chandler Blvd. exit, or take surface streets to Chandler Blvd.
- From the east, use Chandler Blvd. or Frye Road.
- From the south, use surface streets to Frye Road or Chandler Blvd. Please note, construction on Price Road south of the Loop 202 restricts northbound traffic to two lanes.
Details about both weekend projects are online at azdot.gov/santanrepairs.
The City of Chandler encourages residents to share news about this freeway closure with their family, friends and neighbors who live in or travel to the southeast Valley.