Work Close To Home
By Florence Copper &
San Tan Times Staff
Florence Copper is owned by Taseko Mines Ltd., a publicly traded mining company headquartered in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. Taseko Mines will spend approximately $208 million dollars to build the Florence Copper Project.
Taseko’s expertise is in mine development and operation, primarily copper. The Company is the 75% owner and operator of the Gibraltar Mine located in central British Columbia, the second largest copper mine in Canada, and fourth largest in North America. Currently, there are approximately 650 employees working at Gibraltar.
Built in 1971-72, Gibraltar has operated almost continually for some 40 years. Taseko acquired Gibraltar in 2004 and since 2006 has invested $700 million in modernizing the facility, enhancing its competitiveness and extending its mine life.
As a company, Taseko is proud of its commitment to environmental protection and honored to have received a number of awards for its work at Gibraltar including the 2012 Metal Mine Reclamation Award presented by British Columbia Technical and Research Committee on Reclamation and the 2013 Mining & Sustainability Award from the Government of British Columbia and the Mining Association of British Columbia.
In addition to award-winning environmental standards, Gibraltar continues to serve as the standard for how mining can introduce much-needed stimulus to a local economy and can secure long-term employment opportunities for local people.
Florence Copper currently has four jobs available with plans to expand in the near future.
Reporting to the Environmental Engineer, the Environmental Technician occupies a safety sensitive position and is responsible for assisting with all site environmental compliance activities.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Perform groundwater, soil, and stormwater field monitoring, sampling activities, and testing.
- Repair/maintain environmental monitoring equipment.
- Assist with inventory and procurement of spare parts and supplies for monitoring equipment.
- Catalog and prepare samples for transport.
- Perform permit compliance activities, including liner inspections and air emission performance testing.
- Assist in preparation of routine reports as required by the facilities environmental permits.
- Maintain facility environmental files and records.
- Other duties as required.
- Experience with sampling, analysis and monitoring in environmental or scientific field is required.
- Some familiarity with Federal, State and local environmental laws is preferred.
- Must be able to effectively manage time, set priorities and manage multiple tasks.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills required, technical report writing experience preferred.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office programs such as Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Preferred certifications 40 hour HAZWOPER, EPA Method 9, 16 hour RCRA, DOT HAZMAT.
- Associate degree or higher in relevant field is preferred.
- This position will include some office work, but a significant amount will be performed in all-weather conditions outdoors, or in a plant setting.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, sit, demonstrate manual dexterity, climb stairs, and lift up to 50 pounds.
- Must work in compliance with the Florence Copper (OSHA) site safety program.
- Personal protective equipment is required when performing work in the plant environment, including hard hat, hearing protection, safety glasses, safety footwear, and other protective equipment.
Job ID: 378
City: Florence, AZ
Job Type: Full Time Regular
To Apply: Qualified applicants, eligible to work in Canada or USA, are invited to explore this opportunity by submitting a cover letter and detailed resume outlining your qualifications and experience, in confidence.
Visit us at www.tasekomines.com to learn more about our New Prosperity and Harmony projects.
Visit www.florencecopper.com/carrers/currentopportunities to see three more available positions with Florence Copper.