Donations to Schools Provide Dollar for Dollar Arizona Tax Credits
By Florence Unified School District
Arizona law (ARS 43-1089.01) provides that an individual may claim a credit for making contributions or paying fees to a public school for support of qualified activities or programs. Contributing is easy and could lower your tax bill. The impact your contributions provide to Florence Unified School District students is immense. You can designate a specific student – child, grandchild, niece, nephew, or neighbor – and/or activity that you want to sponsor with your tax dollars!
What are qualified activities or programs?
1. Extracurricular activities – defined as school-sponsored activities that may require enrolled students to pay a fee in order to participate. Such activities may include, but are not limited to:
- Band and/or athletic uniforms
- Educational field trips
- Fine Arts programs
- Field trips for competitive events
2. Character education programs (A.R.S. §15-719)
3. Standardized testing fees for college credit or readiness, such as SAT, PSAT, ACT, advanced placement and International Baccalaureate diploma tests
4. Preparation courses and materials for standardized testing
5. Career and technical education industry certification assessment
6. Cardiopulmonary resuscitation training pursuant to A.R.S. §15-718.01
Participation in these activities helps children develop qualities such as leadership, team play, and cooperation while providing safe, supervised activities. Students who play sports in school are more likely to stay in school and succeed academically. Students who participate in fine arts – programs in art and music – actually do better in basic academic subjects. It’s also true that kids can learn a lot on extracurricular field trips while reinforcing the curriculum presented in the classroom.
A tax credit is different from a deduction, because you may subtract the whole contribution from your Arizona state tax bill. The credit is equal to the amount contributed or fees paid. However, a single taxpayer credit cannot exceed $200. For married taxpayers filing jointly, the credit cannot exceed $400. The state tax credit is available to ALL qualifying individual Arizona State taxpayers. You do not need to have a child enrolled in a school to take advantage of this opportunity!
You can make your tax credit contribution online or via mail by taking the following steps:
To contribute electronically (recommended)
1. Access the FUSD website
2. Select the “Payments” tab on the bottom right of the banner photos
3. The payment login page will appear on your screen. If you have a student, please:
- Input your student’s ID number as the User Name
- Input your student’s last name as the Password (NOTE: The first initial of the last name should be a capital letter.)
- Click the Sign-in button (IMPORTANT NOTE: If you are making a Pay-to-Participate payment (tax credit or other) you MUST log-in as the student to ensure proper credit.)
- If you are a guest user who does not have a student in the District, you can select the blue “sign up for an account” link noted on the page.
4. Each subsequent page will allow you to select the type of tax credit payment you would like to make and will walk you through the payment process.
If you prefer, you can also complete the Arizona State Tax Credit Contribution Form and
1. Visit your closest FUSD location and the site Secretary can process your contribution.
2. Mail the completed form and your check to the address provided below. A copy of your form and the canceled check will serve as your receipt.
Your support of the Florence Unified School District students is greatly appreciated!
Florence Unified School District #1
Attn: Julie Cook, Assistant Director, Financial Services
P.O. Box 2850 – 1000 S. Main St.
Florence, AZ 85132
If you have any questions please contact Mrs. Julie Cook, Assistant Director of Financial Services, at 520-866-3516 or email@example.com