Ever get caught off guard by the rain?
Maybe you expected the weather to be nice and warm. Then, those dark clouds come out of nowhere and drop some heavy rain.
Today’s recipe is a quick meal for those days you just want to stay inside, read a book, and get some rest. You’ll love it—it’s comfort soup!
The sausage in the soup provides some hearty protein for your diet. Add in some carrots, onions, cabbage, and tomatoes for a few extra notes of flavor (and nutrition).
Take a sip—you’ll feel all warm and fuzzy inside.
- 1 1/2 lbs of mild Italian sausage, loose
- 1 large yellow onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons of garlic, chopped
- 4 medium carrots, peeled and sliced into 1/4 rounds
- 1 head of green cabbage, core removed and shredded
- 3 large tomatoes, diced
- 2 teaspoons of sea salt (plus more as needed)
- Fresh ground black pepper (about 5 cracks)
- 1 teaspoon of ground sweet paprika
- Brown the sausage at the bottom of a large soup pot over medium-high heat, breaking it into small pieces as it browns. Remove the cooked sausage from the pot and set aside in a bowl, leaving the oil from the sausage in the pot.
- Add the onions, garlic, and carrots
- to the pot with the hot oil. Continue to cook over medium-high heat as the veggies become tender, stirring often (about 5 minutes). Add in the cabbage and tomatoes and continue to cook, stirring often (5 minutes). Mix in the remaining ingredients and bring the soup to a low simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add in more salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot. Enjoy!
- Servings: 1
- Calories: 116
- Fat: 7g
- Carbohydrates: 7g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 6g
Learn more about San Tan Valley Fit Body Boot Camp and their full schedule of fitness classes: