Work is currently taking place in the south end of the project, from Johnson Ranch Boulevard/Gantzel Road through Magma Road on Hunt Highway to construct improvements. Current work includes utility work, storm drain installation and box culvert construction on the west side of Hunt Highway, with Hunt remaining open for travel, one lane in each direction, with traffic shifted away from the work zone.
- The contractor has split this phase of work into two segments; the first from Johnson Ranch Blvd/Gantzel Road to Quartzite Road, and the second from Quartzite Road through Magma Road. The base course (bottom layer) of asphalt has been placed for the segment from Johnson Ranch/Gantzel to Quartzite Road and traffic is currently on the west side of Hunt Highway in this area. The final course (top layer) of asphalt will be placed from Magma Road to the end of the project, including Magma road and the intersection with Hunt Highway. Please be cautious of the “bumps” between bottom and top layers of asphalt. The final course (top layer) of asphalt from Johnson Ranch/Gantzel to Magma Road will be placed upon project completion, after the next phase.
- Once complete, scheduled for Wednesday morning, January 23, Magma Road will be reopened to traffic.
- Also scheduled for Wednesday morning, January 23, Hunt Highway traffic from Johnson Ranch Blvd/Gantzel Road will ALL be shifted to the west side of Hunt Highway for continuing work on the east side of Hunt Highway.
- As part of the work on the east side of Hunt Highway, crews will need to construct box culverts under the driveway/roadway first at the entry to Shops at Copper Basin and later at Copper Mine Road and Quartzite. Scheduled for Wednesday morning, January 23, the Hunt Highway driveway access to Shops at Copper Basin will be CLOSED and Copper Mine Road should be used to access the businesses. This work is expected to take 4-5 weeks to complete.
- As a reminder, speeds have been reduced through the work zone (25 mph) for the safety of nearby residents, travelers, and construction crews. Please obey traffic signage as it is placed for your safety.
Business and resident access is being maintained, and we thank you for your continued patience during this construction.