Providing Quality, Science-Based, Online Education And Business Services To Animal Training Professionals
By San Tan Times Staff and Raising Canine
Raising Canine uses science based methods for the training and behavior modification of animals. Their goals are to make training as fun as possible for the animal and the owner; to resolve behavior problems without doing any harm; and to keep animals in their homes and out of shelters. They are committed to turning the profession of animal consulting into a respected and educated field. To accomplish this goal, we are actively involved in various professional organizations including the Association of Professional Dog Trainers (APDT), the Certification Council for Professional Dog Trainers (CCPDT) and the International Association of Animal Behavior Consultants (IAABC). We believe in and are committed to a national certification for trainers as well as formal education and continuing online education for all animal consultants. We work with both owners and consultants to educate and help in every way we can.
Susan Smith, the owner of Raising Canine, is the co-author of Positive Gun Dogs: Clicker Training for Sporting Breeds. She is the author of many articles including Starting Your Own Dog Training Business and When to Ask for Help, which were published in the Association of Pet Dog Trainers’ The Dog Trainer’s Resource: The APDT Chronicle of the Dog Collection. She is a contributing author for the book “Top Tips from Top Trainers.” She has authored many other articles and book reviews, and is also the author of a column on learning and behavior for the APDT Chronicle of the Dog.
What Are Their Certifications
- CPDT-KA from the Certification Council for Professional Dog Trainers;
- CDBC from the International Association of Animal Behavior Consultants; and
- CTC from the San Francisco SPCA.
Who Are They Affiliated With
- Curent member Review Panel Committee for the IAABC;
- Current member Advisory Board for the CCPDT;
- Former List Manager for the APDT list (8 years);
- Former Membership Coordinator for the IAABC;
- Former member of the Board of Directors of the Certification Council for Professional Dog Trainers;
- Past Chair of the APDT Member Relations and Communications Committee;
- Past committee member for the APDT Member Relations and Communications Committee; and
- Past member of the APDT Sponsorship Committee.
Susan spent 3 years running a sanctuary for un-adoptable, primarily aggressive, dogs. The sanctuary was limited to 15 dogs and the dogs lived in the house with Susan. This was a most enlightening experience, and provided an understanding of what clients experience when living with an aggressive dog. Except for her three years in New York running the sanctuary, Susan spent the last 35 years in Austin, Texas. This spring, she decided to make a change and moved to the Phoenix, Arizona area where she continues to run her internet-based education and online consulting business.
Raising Canine provides a variety of remote educational formats and topics for animal professionals. Although we do require that the information be based in science, anecdotal information is certainly valuable and can be extremely helpful in our profession. Except for coaching services, all courses can be searched via the search function.