No State Highway Construction Closures Over Memorial Day Weekend
By Arizona Department Of Transportation
If you’re planning a road trip in the state over the Memorial Day weekend, the Arizona Department of Transportation has good news about construction-related closures.
ADOT and its contractors will not schedule weekend closures along state-maintained highways, including Phoenix-area freeways, from Friday afternoon through late Monday night, May 27.
Drivers should allow extra time, especially during peak travel periods, and be prepared to slow down and use caution in existing work zones. Focus on safe driving, including buckling up and not speeding.
There were seven fatal crashes with a total of eight deaths on Arizona roadways, including local streets, over last year’s Memorial Day weekend. Two of those fatal crashes were alcohol-related.
ADOT’s highway safety recommendations include:
- Never drive while impaired – arrange for a designated driver in advance
- Buckle up and obey speed limits
- Check your vehicle, including tire pressure
- Get some rest before traveling – fatigue is a serious safety risk
- Allow extra travel time and be prepared for unscheduled closures
- Avoid distractions – don’t text while driving
- Pack extra supplies, including drinking water and snack foods
- Don’t park in areas with grasses or brush – hot vehicle components could start a fire
ADOT also provides highway condition information via its Twitter feed, @ArizonaDOT. Real-time highway conditions are available on ADOT’s Arizona Traveler Information site at az511.gov. When a freeway closure or other major traffic event occurs, our free app available at ADOTAlerts.com will send critical information directly to app users in affected areas – where possible, in advance of alternate routes.